First 1000 Days Australia has publications – journal articles, flyers, symposium reports, programs – and multimedia resources, videos and presentations. We also have a list of useful links to related websites, resources and organisations.
Professor Kerry Arabena has spoken at several different events about her vision for an Australian Model of the First 1000 Days that will benefit Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families. Watch them here.
Several reports based on close consultation with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, researchers, and policy makers and implementers inform our work.
The following journal articles, including editorials and discussion papers, based on our research and the development of an Australian Model of the First 1000 Days are available on-line.
Listed below are links to some of the websites of organisations working across this area, and other useful resources. We acknowledge the great work being done by many others, and are keen to hear about resources you may have either developed or found to be of benefit to your work, so email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SNAICC (Secretariat of National Aboriginal and Islander Child Care)
- Deadly Tots
- Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet (search on First 1000 Days)
- Save the Children Australia
- How Refuge Provides 'Refuge' to Infants (PhD Thesis by Dr Wendy Bunston) [PDF 2Mb]
- Victorian Aboriginal Childhood Mortality Study (4 detailed reports on mortality rates and identification of Victoria's Aboriginal children)
- Arnam Liber - Living Library Heritage A blog by Sarah Bingle on Koolin-ik ba Kirrip-buluk NAIDOC Event and her trip to the Top End
- Mother Language Day A United Nations International Day to celebrate our linguistic and cultural diversity
F1000DA influencing policy
- Children's rights report 2016 Report outlining the work of the National Children's Commissioner to promote the human rights of children and young people in Australia (14.6MB)
- Redfern Statement 2016 A call for a more just approach to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Affairs (170KB)
- Supporting families, changing futures Embedding and strengthening Queensland’s child protection and family support reforms (1.9MB)
- Changing tracks An action plan for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families (4.4MB)
- Our Way A generational strategy for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families (5.1MB)